Recipe for Health: Garlic Bread with a Lemon Twist
Many health benefits have been attributed to garlic due to its allyl polysulfides. These pungent compounds are linked to anti-inflammatory and cardio-protective properties.
Garlic Bread with a Lemon Twist
(Makes Eight Servings)
1 loaf French bread
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Split loaf of French bread in half, lengthwise and place on cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl mix melted butter with olive oil. Add garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and black pepper. Mix together and spread on top of French bread with a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the bread.
- Bake until slightly browned on top, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Enjoy with pasta, grilled fish or chicken.
In the Kitchen
Garlic is used in countless dishes from salad dressings and stir fry to garlic bread, sauces, and main dishes.
In the Garden
Garlic contains sulfur which is a naturally occurring fungicide. It also helps to repel insects including aphids, wood borers, codling moths and Japanese beetles. It is a companion to roses, apple and pear trees, cucumbers, peas, lettuce, and celery. It is a competitor to asparagus.
Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world and has been grown for over 5,000 years.
Download and share our recipe for GarlicBread.
This recipe series is sponsored by the Center for Nutrition and Healthy Food Systems at Fletcher Allen, focused on building sustainable food in health care.